Duke of Edinburgh Award
We are currently engaged in fundraising activities throughout the school, to raise money to pay for a new Duke of Edinburgh minibus, as our old one, which is pictured below, has come to the end of its life. The D of E minibus is an invaluable resource for our young people participating in the Award, whether at Bronze, Silver or Gold, as it enables us to travel widely and explore - a key component to the Award.
The Award: An Introduction:
In Year 9 pupils have the opportunity to start their journey to achieving the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, starting with their Bronze Award. In Year 10 pupils move on to the Silver Award, and they are given the opportunity to complete their Gold Award whilst in the Sixth Form.
For each level of the Award there are 4 sections to complete:
For the Gold Level of the Award, pupils also have to undertake a Residential Section.
Bronze Award timescales:
- Volunteering section: 3 months
- Physical section: 3 months
- Skills section: 3 months
- Expedition section: 2 days/1 night
- Participants are also required o do 3 more months in one of the Volunteering, Physical or Skills sections.
Silver Award timescales:
- Volunteering section: 6 months
- Physical and Skills sections: One section for 6 months and the other section for 3 months
- Expedition section: 3 days/2 nights
- If participants did not do the Bronze Award, they must undertake a further 6 months in either the Volunteering or the longer of the Physical or Skills sections.
Gold Award timescales:
- Volunteering section: 12 months
- Physical and Skills sections: One section for 12 months and the other section for 6 months
- Expedition section: 4 days/3 nights
- Residential section: Undertake a shared activity in a residential setting, away from home for 5 days and 4 nights.
- If participants didn't do Silver, they must undertake a further 6 months in either the Volunteering or the longer of the Physical or Skills sections.
Further Information about the Duke of Edinburgh's Award can be found at: https://www.dofe.org/